Friday, April 10, 2009

Korean Fighters - The good, the bad and the incredibly mediocre pt. 3

So it looks like I made quite a few omissions. I forgot Choi Mu Bae, Ham Seo-Hee (female mma fighter), a bunch of dudes from Spirit MC (which to be fair, is now defunct) and a lot of dudes from DEEP. Still debating if adding Taiei Kin is worth it, he's part ethnically Korean but it seems like he has even less connection to Korea than Chu Sung-hoon does (though I guess Taiei Kin trains Choi Hong-man apparently. I'm gonna throw it out right now - I've never heard of any of these people in this post (Choi Mu-bae excluded) before I started researching this project. I'm obviously no expert on Korean MMA/K-1, but I'm discovering a lot of dudes really fast. DEEP seems to be just overflowing with Korean talent,and I haven't even cracked into M-1 which has a ton of Korean fighters going for it. Obviously it'd be impossible to include all the Korean fighters out there so I'll just do what I can.
 
I gotta say, I'm having a lot of fun with this. I'm toying with the idea of expanding this into a bigger project. I may start a seperate blog dedicated to the Korean fight scene, update with the fighters i've profiled so far, add videos, pictures, news, shit like that. I mean once the ground work is laid down it'll be much easier to update here and there. And all the work I've done so far, I literally did in a bit over one day. The Korean fight scene is a lot deeper than I once thought, though I can't imagine every attempting something like this with Japanese, Brazilian or American guys. It'd take all fucking year to do.
 
for my own reference
 
Lim "The Korean Icepick Jae-suk, 15-4-0, 176 lbs, Spirit MC fighter, one EliteXC fight, lots of sub wins
 
Kim Chang-Hyeon, 8-3-0, Spirit MC fights, 6 sub wins
 
Kim "Snake Eater" Yoon-young, 10-4-0, 176 lbs, Spirit MC and DEEP fighter, badass nickname
 
Lee Chi-sung, 5-1-0, Spirit MC guy
 
Choi Mu-bae, 8-3-0, Heavyweight, fought in Pride, K-1 Hero's, Pancrase and Sengoku, beat Gary Goodridge and Dave Herman :/
 
Ham Seo-hee, 3-3, 108 lbs, fights in DEEP and Smackgirl, record is literally win-loss-win-loss-win-loss so her next fight should be a win
 
Jung Bu-kyung, 0-4-0, Lightweight, fights at Yarennoka!, Dream and DEEP, but lost to good guys (Aoki Shinya, Ishida Mitsuhiro, Nakamura Daisuke)
 
Lee "Crazy" Kwang-hee, 5-1-0, Fights in Spirit MC and recently made his Sengoku debut
 
Song "Tornado" Un-sik, 7-0-0, K-1 Hero's debut and the rest in MARS (japanese fight league i've never heard of)
 

No comments: